17.5.05

Men Are From Uranus

Ever watch that episode of "Seinfeld" guest starring Molly Shannon as the woman who doesn't bend her swinging arms when she walks? Some guys at Elaine's office are making fun of her and then when she joins in they're all, like, "Me-Ow!" Well, the writers were brilliant because they totally hit that stereotype/nail on the head!

Fact: men are totally clueless about women. Fact: women know about other types of women. So when I talk to a woman about how this other woman we know is the type that other women don't like because she is so obviously manipulative with men but they don't see it and fawn all over her, she totally gets what I'm talking about. But if I say the same thing to a typical man, they're all "Me-Ow!"

And if I try to explain to one of these men who are wrapped around this (let's call a spade a spade) girl's finger what she is really up to, well, fuhgeddaboudit! Men are blind when it comes to women. If a woman puts her mind to it, in most situations, she can always have "hand" (another "Seinfeld" reference). Men are clueless and predictable. It isn't a coincidence that there are so many jokes made to this effect on television and in the movies. Heck, "Everybody Loves Raymond" just ended a successful 9 year run on this one running joke alone! (And yes, I cried during the series finale last night! I'm really a cheeseball inside this iron mace exterior!)

However, as you know, I am trying to grow as a person, and not let what this girl does bother me so much. It doesn't really effect my life one way or another. More than anything, what is truly bothering me is not being able to figure out why it bothers me so much! Maybe it's because I see these types of girls (because regardless of age they still have a lot of maturing to do - [shout out gil!]) get so much undeserving attention from the male species. They play the victim and guys rush to play the hero; like moths to a flame. So where does that leave a strong-minded, self-sufficient, independant woman like me?

I think I've always known that it would take a rare and special man to be willing to take a chance on me. My close friends know this about me as well, which is why I'm not the first person they think of when they meet a single man who is willing to get set up. It's just that when it comes to finding/waiting for this man, I'm starting to lose my patience!! Which in turn, I know, will make me into a woman that will require an even rarer and special-er man. Awww CRAP!

I was just "joking mad" with the "If You Can't Do, Teach / Preach / Critique-ch" entry, but stuff like this makes me seriously hot under the High
brow
collar!

2 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It bothers you (us) because it is so "Grade 8".
It's unfortunate that so many men (boys) get stuck at that level - where even the most immature girls are way ahead of the most mature boys. Deep down I know it will come round and bite them both in the ...
gil.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger highbrow said...

You said it, Sistah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home