9.1.06

Bienvenue Ma Petite Chouchou

Okay, so "chouchou" means hair scrunchie in french, but whatev...it rhymes, so good. Actually, I thought it meant cauliflower. I know, that doesn't make any sense either.

I'm back babies. How consistantly I don't know. I just find I don't really have a lot to write about. Especially since now that I'm "growing as a person" I'm trying to gossip less and I've decided I need to vent less. Or at least not be so angry and bitter. I was watching the pilot of "Four Kings" which is a new, and not very funny, sit-com on NBC about 4 guys in their 20's living together. It stars Seth Green, who I adore, and at the end of the show I realized that within my group of friends, I am the almost always angry and bitter one. It's was a surprising revelation. When did I evolve into such a person? I know I have alway had a bit of a temper, and I know I tend to seriously vent once in a while, but when did I start to feel the need to vent ALL OF THE TIME?! It made me realize that I didn't want to be this person. I don't want to live my life angry, bitter, envious of others and full of self-pity all the time. Who am I? Paul Giamatti?? (Or at least all of the characters he's played, cuz really what does he have to be bitter, envious and full of self-pity over?) So I've decided I need to attempt change in that area of my life. I own property, have a good job, a cute dog, and family and friends who love me. I should be happy with my life, n'est pas? Because I know if I don't change, I'll continue down this angry road, and that's no good. I've been exposed to enough anger in my life.

I've come to a bunch of self-revelations these past 6 months. I've been off work and sunk into a deep dark funk. I would start to cry at the push of a button (or at the end of "Ghost Whisperer" - a super cheesy drama starring, yes, Jennifer Love Hewitt). One of those revelations is that I am a pessimist. Now this may not come as a surprise to some (or all) of you, but nevertheless, it did to me. I've always thought of myself as a realist or pragmatic. I know that I've always had a propensity for snarkasm (thank you "Gilmore Girls" for that fab combination of words!) and cynicism, but I really never thought of myself as a pessimist. But I am, and I have to live with that. I don't think I can change this aspect of my character as I see the pessimism as an innate factor (whereas the anger as a learned one) but I feel I need to be on the look-out for it and attempt to curb the negative thoughts from leaving my lips.

But don't worry, mes petite chouchous, I will not completely leave leave my lowbrow ways behind me....I'll still occasionally give you something to talk about at the watercooler.

Hmmm...but what should I write about now that doesn't incite me into a full blown rage? Well, there's always TV!! First off, BIG NEWS (to me alone, I know): I finally got an HD PVR (DVR for those of you in the US of A). For the non-television savvy, a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) is basically a hard drive in your digital cable/satellite box that records live tv - what you program it to record as well as temporarily recording whatever you are currently watching. The latter is a cool feature because it is the fuction that let you "Pause and Rewind Live TV!!" a feature I never thought I would use but actually turns out to be super handy! The HD part stands for High Definition. For those of you who have been living under a rock (or just don't watch as much tv as I do...) Hi-Def, for short, is a step up from digital viewing which is a step up from traditional analog viewing. Basically it's more pixels for your buck, giving you a cleaner, crisper, colour saturated picture. It's fantastic! I watched "How I Met Your Mother" in HD last night and I could practically feel the stuble starting to grow on Ted's face! It's basically the generic version of TiVO without the superchip that figures out your program watching habits and starts to automatically record what it thinks you will like. Now that would be sooooooo cool! But I'm learning to be happy with what I have. Riiight.

Mid-season replacements are starting to air. But before I begin, let's take a moment to say goodbye to those shows that had potential to be great but the greedy networks didn't give them the chance: "Kitchen Confidential," "Arrested Development" (all but finished for good) and "Threshold".
Now say hello to (in no particular order and without prejudice):
Love Monkey - Starring Tom Cavanaugh - 1 hour dramedy about a guy trying to find love in the big city; aka "Ed" in NYC (Luff It!)
Crumbs - Starring Fred Savage - 30 min sit-com about a prodigal son returning to help out his crazy family
In Justice - Starring Kyle McLaughlin - 1 hour procedural drama about a team of lawyers and investigators that free the wrongly convicted. (Silly me, I didn't get the play on word of the show's title until the first time I said it out loud...)
What About Brian - Starring Barry Watson - 1 hour dramedy about a guy who is the last one of his friends to get married; a guy trying to find love (see "Love Monkey" above)
(ed. note: Just where in the heck are all these supposed "guys" anyway?!?)
The Evidence - Starring Orlando Jones - 1 hour procedural drama which follows the evidence to put the bad guys away; from producer John Wells of "ER" fame
The New Adventures of Old Christine - Starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus - 30 min sit-com about a divorce mom who finds out her ex is dating a younger woman also named Christine
Emily's Reasons Why Not - Starring Heather Graham - 30 min sit-com about a woman trying to find love (much more believeable)
Courting Alex - Starring Jenna Elfman - 30 min sit-com about a woman trying to find love (where have I seen that before?)
The Loop - Starring (cutiepie) Bret Harrison - 30 min sit-com about a guy just entering the work force, trying to be a professional at work, but his buddies keep getting in the way
Four Kings - Starring Seth Green - 30 min sit-com about 4 buddies living together in NYC
The Book of Daniel - Starring Adian Quinn - 1 hour drama about a minister who's hooked on Vicodin, has 2 screwed up kids and speaks to Jesus
Windfall - Starring Luke Perry - 1 hour drama following the lives of 20 lottery winners
Conviction - Starring Stephanie March - 1 hour procedural drama following the professional and personal lives of NY ADAs; the newest in the Law & Order series
The Bedford Diaries - Starring Milo Ventimiglia - 1 hour drama about those taking a human sexuality class at a liberal arts college in NYC.
Misconceptions - Starring Jane Leeves - 30 min sit-com about a girl who wants to meet her biological father who turns out not to be the man highly desirable man described on his sperm bank donor card
Welcome back to the following returning shows: "Scrubs" and "Jake in Progress"
And, okay, I'll mention returning reality series that I will catch an episode of if there is nothing else on: "Beauty and the Geek," "American Idol," "Dancing with the Stars," and the all new "Skating with the Stars" (as one reviewer put it: "It's Todd Bridges. Skating. On Ice.").

So I hope this has somewhat satiate the appetites of those of you out there asking about my practically defunt blog.

Hope your 2006 has started on a High
brow

3 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you're back. I am sooo jealous about your choices in tv land. Did I mention that Donna lost her virginity on 90210? That's all I get here : (
gil

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger highbrow said...

I am sad for you. Really, I am. I don't know what I'd do without basic network television.

The O.C. is doing a tribute to 90210 by basically re-enacting the Donna graduates episode by trying to get Marissa re-enrolled into their school. Or something liek that...I don't know the exact details as I do not watch the show.

If anyone's interested in what's going on with tv or movies, zap2it.com is a great site.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger highbrow said...

ps: Gil, just wanted you to know that now my VCR is dedicated to your WOAT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home