17.9.04

40 - Love

At this rate, that's how old I'll be before I find it...(sniff!) But enough self-pity.

Today Wimbledon opens. (Click here for local listings.) I'm excited because I like Kirsten Dunst, I really like Paul Bettany, but most of all, I'm excited because I luuuuuuuuuv a good romantic-comedy! A good romantic-comedy is very hard to come by these days. There was a real dry period about 5 years ago when sometimes the couple wouldn't even get together at the end! e.g. My Best Friend's Wedding, The Next Best Thing and The Object of My Affection. But I have high hopes for this one because it is well casted and it is made by the makers of Notting Hill. They don't make the greatest romantic-comedies, but they usually make decent ones. My fave of all time is When Harry Met Sally. I re-watched a couple of years ago thinking it probably wasn't as great as I remembered it, but it was! It hasn't gotten cheesy and dated like a lot of movies, except for wardrobe, but there's not really anything you can do about that with a "present-day movie." Testiment to good writing! Nora Ephron and Meg Ryan. Always a winning combination!

But I digress, I'm going to watch a late show tonight with my pal JS. I hope it's not packed with "date-movie-people." I occasionally go to watch movies by myself, (I know that some people find that strange, but I get to watch whatever I want and whenever I want. I used to watch 1-2 movies a week and when you watch that many of them it is hard to find someone who'll watch all of them with you.), and one of those movies was The Truth About Cats and Dogs. It was opening night, and I'd decided to go watch a late show on the spur of the moment. It was a sold out show. It was sold out with couples. It was very awkward.

And on a different note, until I had to spell it above, I had no idea it was wimBLEdon. I've been pronouncing it wrong all my life....

Here's to hoping the movie leaves me a High and not a
Lowbrow

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home