5.6.04

Ms. Dressup

I always knew my mother had a lot of clothes. Growing up, I would walk into her closet (she never shared one with my father - never enough room too) and go through her dresses longingly, hoping one day I'd get to wear them as my own. Well, times have changed and so has fashion. Needless to say, I no longer want to wear her out of date wardrobe, nor would I fit into them even if I fancied the notion. (Why does it always seem like your mother was a size zero when she was your age, and you, well, are not. We share the same freakin' genes, don't we?)

"Where are you going with this?" You ask. Well, I'll tell you. My parents are moving for the 100th time and my mother, who is no longer a size zero herself, has decided to get rid of all the clothes she doesn't wear anymore. They are having a garage sale today and enlisted my services over the past couple of days to get them ready for the event. I should also let you know that we are a family of pack rats. Yesterday, I started sorting and pricing her clothes. It started off with one box, no big deal. It quickly escaladed into a second box; and then a third; and then a couple of wardrobe racks! Remember, these are the clothes she didn't want to keep! She's not purging herself of all material possessions. Oh, no! Quite the contrary! She's still got a closet full of clothes wears "all the time." It was unbelieveable. Just as I thought I was finished, she sweetly say, "oh, here's some more...," and proceed to dump 2 large hampers full of clothes in front of me. I kid you not. In belts alone, I filled 3 "kitchen catcher" size garbage bags! And talk about "out of style"!! Granted these were my dad's clothes, but i found two 3pc. suit straight out of the 70's! My mother had her own disco dancin' red dress with matching platform slingbacks! I was thinking of calling up "That 70's Show" and telling them I had season 7's costumes lined up for them. It took me the better part of 5 hours to get through her personal second hand clothing store! Crazy!

My friends always tell me that I have "a lot" of clothes, and I used to believe them. When I moved, I gave away 6 garbage bags - not completely full, and 2 of those were shoes - of clothing to a charity. I thought that was "a lot." Now I know "a lot" is extremely relative.

low(& tired)brow

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home