27.4.05

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

My brother does something to me every year around my birthday. He asks me if there is anything I want. My usual response, after a brief moment of thinking about it, is "nope. Can't think of anything."

My problem is that I am all about immediate gratification. If there is something I want, I either a) will buy it for myself, or b) pine for it because it's too expensive for me to buy for myself, let alone ask my brother to treat. So usually, they get me a token gift: a spa treatment, gift certificate, etc. Usually, I open the gift and I'm like, "whatev." Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the thought, but it's nothing to get too excited about either.

My other problem is that I am very picky. All of my friends have told me they dred my birthday, or other gift giving holidays, because I am the hardest person to shop for that they know. I used to deny it, but I've come to terms that this is indeed the case. Furthermore, I'm only getting pickier as I get older! A woman at work gave me a small gift and as she handed it over she said, "I hope you like it. I know how picky you are." As soon as she said that I knew that I was not going to like it. I accepted the present graciously, put it on my desk and went back to work. When she wasn't looking, I surreptitiously unwrapped the package. I was right. I did not like the gift. But, I know, it's the thought that counts. I know and I appreciate that, but I can't change what I think.

So here we are again. Birthday time. While I was in New York, I got a call from my bro asking his usual, "Is there anything you want for your birthday?" Again, I said, "Uh, nope. Nothing I can think of..." But before he gave me his usual retort of, "Well then you get nothing...," (Yes, he's like a male version of me...), in which case I usually say, "Fine, whatever," I jumped in with, "Give me time to think about it." Because, let's face it, this is a milestone of a birthday so I want something special to remember it by. So he said fine. But I forgot to think about it, just like I keep forgetting about doing my taxes (Yikes! I only have 3 more days!), so when my sister-in-law called me yesterday, I promised I would think about it today.

Today at work I asked for my co-worker's help, but every suggestion she had was either "I have it already" or "don't want it" or "I want a tangible memento." Finally she said, "Too bad you don't wear jewelry...." A lightbulb went off! They're not going to buy me diamonds, but a nice piece of silver jewelry would be perfect. True, I would hardly wear it, but that just means it'll last longer and be more special when I actually do. And I totally luff cuffs these days! Especially big, chunky, antique-y, cuffs. So tonight, I will call them and tell them that's what I want. Unfortunately, if my wish is something my brother thinks is a stupid idea, he tends to say, "No."

Let's hope he give this idea a High
(brow)
5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home