28.4.05

Newly-Kiwi Shout-Out

A friend of mine from the biz (the one that hooked me up with my one true love) has recently relocated to Wellington, NZ for her hubby's work. They are only there for a year, but I know it was a big deal for her to just pick-up and leave; even if it was for just 12 months. Well, she's finally back in the Matrix and has sent word that they are alive and well.

Since she is half way around the world, I thought it would be safe to share with her my blog's address. I never give out this site to those I work with. Too much damning evidence of my rage. (This morning on CBC Radio One there was a news story about how blogging had become a major unforseen corporate privacy issue. They gave the example of a flight attendant who had decided to gossip and bitch about work on her blog by *cleverly* making up a fictional airline so as not to damn herself. BUT, the girl goes and posts a photo of herself in her profile! She has been suspended. I hope the reason for the suspension was stupidity.) But I trust her with my secrets so I thought it might amuse her to check in once in a while.

Gil reminds me of, well, me. She is also a "woman of extremes" with borderline OCD. So she writes me to say she checked out my blog and got really into it and ended up starting at the beginning and read straight through to the (emotionally) bitter end. I thought to myself that would be interesting (to me) to try that: read all my entries in one sitting. So I did. (At work. Procrastinating as usual....)

I haven't written very much over the past year. I apologize to my fans for that. I just go through phases. I'm the kid who's mother did NOT want her to take up any hobbies or sports that would cost any money because she knew I'd never stick with anything for very long. But I did notice something interesting (again, to me). Somewhere along the way I started signing off as mainly Highbrow instead of Lowbrow. I don't know how or why that change took place. But I kind of like it. Cheez! I'm getting soft in my old age! But maybe I've a brighter outlook for my 30s than I did for my 20s. I'm an old soul, so as SW always points out (and she knows because I've known her for 18 years now!), I've always looked forward to living in the next decade, certain it would be better than the current one. I've never had the hang-ups or issues SW had about turning 30. I was kinda excited about it. I guess you can say that I "found myself" earlier than most and have just been waiting for friends to catch up. Well, now they all have and it makes me happy. We may still have a lot of things we aren't satisfied with in life, but I think as a whole we are much more happy with ourselves. I once watched a movie where someone was told to make a wish and the woman wished for happiness but was subsequently told that "happiness was a child's wish." I can't remember the reason that followed, however, I remember myself agreeing with him. Today, I can't think of any reason that would make me agree. Happiness is one of the most important things I think one should always strive towards. What is childish about wanting to be at peace with oneself enough to experience joy?

Thanks Gil for leading me here today. It's wasn't where I was headed, but I'm sure glad I came!

Staying High
brow

5 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Blogger a.a. said...

ahhhh, someone else on this side of the ocean. kewl. new zealand is high on the list of places to visit, too bad Legolas is no longer there. Speaking of which, that show 'Lost' has merry or is it pippin in it. I've been watching it on internet t.v. Not bad, but not great.

Is Daniel Dae Kim's accent spot on? I was wondering if his American accent would get in the way.

aa

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger highbrow said...

I don't watch "Lost." I hear it's actually really great, but I was never interested in the concept and thus never bothered to watch.

It's Merry.

Well, if you're able to pop down to NZ before April 2006 make sure you call up Gil! And give her a (mental) hug for me!

 
At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gil? i sound like a fish. a fish out of water
having no cable or even a tv yet for that matter
your blog has become my new sitcom
it's all there is in my new fall line up
i give it 2 big thumbs up from down under
maybe you can get anthony lapaglia to guest star?

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger highbrow said...

heck! tonnes of shows are out there on the net waiting for you to download them! you know how to download pirated music, just take the next step to pirated tv & movies!

 
At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just saw the 3rd last WW.
It took 12 hrs to download!
I am waiting for the last 2 now.
Am I doing it wrong?
gil.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home