6.5.05

What Do You See In Your Crystal Ball?

Miss Cleo (aka JS and Don't be Hatin') is having hair issues. For the last two weeks she's been emailing with bi-daily updates as to the status of her hair. She claims age is making her hair feel greasier than usual. Initially I agreed, but upon recollection of Inner Science Shampoo commercials, I remembered that age is supposed to have the opposite effect on hair. Hair loses moisture as we get older.

I guess she's been telling me this because I have the "hair gene." Problem is, I have pretty nice hair so I cannot sympathize with her plight. She wills me to understand the torture she is experiencing while she attempts to live life with greasy hair, but alas, I cannot. Mind you, Miss Cleo is known to observe things about her appearance that the rest of society is blind to. We all do this, but Miss Cleo may stress out about it more than the average person. Even to my "trained" eye, her hair looks silky and shiny which is all signs of healthy hair. "You just don't understand," she wails.

I've been trying to be as patient I can possibly be (which is not very) and guide her through the product aisle at the beauty supply store. However, like a kid in a candy store, she bought a mish-mash of product that is probably adding to the problem. Als0, I suggested she shampoo her hair less often. If you can make it past the initial greasy hump, where your scalp continues to produce the same amount of oil it needed to when you were washing everyday, it will learn to adapt. Many haircare experts, models, celebrities, etc. (people who style or get styled frequently but still have gorgeous hair) have endorsed using as little shampoo as possible. I suggested that when she take a shower and her hair feels like it needs to be cleansed, she should wash her hair with water. You'd be surprised at how much of the grease and grim is rinsed away just with tap water. Run your fingers through your hair and scalp, as if using shampoo, and then rinse with cool water. Note: when you condition, you should always rinse out the conditioner with cool water - the coldness closes the hair shaft, keeping in the moisturizers. Miss Cleo slowed down the frequency of shampooing for about a week before she gave in and reverted back to washing daily. "My hair got too greasy!" I tried to tell her that, this too shall pass. But alas, again, she wouldn't listen to my sage advise.

I just wanted to congratulate Miss Cleo today! She finally took a little bit of my advise and her hair is feeling better than it has in weeks! (I know, serious eye-roll! Whatev....) I foresee that her hair's future will be fine with time. All she has to do is what she always says, but never adheres to, "Never doubt the Brow!"

I prefer High
brow
ponytails to Low
brow
ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home